Re: [Condor-users] about priorities

Hello all.

I am running a dedicated pool of Windows 2000 servers with one central
submit machine.  I submit 20 jobs with multiple processes and want to make
sure that they are run in succession, i.e. Job1 is more important than
Job2, etc.  If the first 10 jobs are concurrently running how can I make
sure that if Job1 fails due to a hardware failure that it will preempt the
the claim of the lowest priority job?  Is this something fairly easy to
accomplish with priorities/preemption?

Thank you,

Bob Nordlund

|---------+-------------------------------->
|         |           Erik Paulson         |
|         |           <epaulson@xxxxxxxxxxx|
|         |           >                    |
|         |           Sent by:             |
|         |           condor-users-bounces@|
|         |           cs.wisc.edu          |
|         |                                |
|         |                                |
|         |           08/04/2004 10:43 PM  |
|         |           Please respond to    |
|         |           Condor-Users Mail    |
|         |           List                 |
|         |                                |
|---------+-------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       Condor-Users Mail List <condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                            |
  |       cc:                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Condor-users] about priorities                                                          |

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 06:16:45PM -0500, David A. Kotz wrote:
> I think what you want to do is to set the following in your
> condor_config:
>
> SUSPEND = FALSE
> PREEMPT = FALSE
> KILL = FALSE

That will help prevent the local machine from evicting the job (you'll also
probably want have START = TRUE, or some such)

Those expresssions have nothing to do with preemption for priority
purposes, though. Condor can "preempt" a job for two reasons - one,
because the local conditions on the machine force us to get rid of a job,
or two, because there is a user with a higher priority who wants to run a
job. That preemption is controlled by PREEMPTION_REQUIREMENTS. It is a
pool-wide setting that is evaluated only when Condor has a higher
priority user who wants to run a job. It is tested against each machine
in the pool to see if the job currently running on that machine
can be preempted.

To prevent priority preemption, set:

PREEMPTION_REQUIREMENTS = FALSE

in the config file of your central manager.

-Erik

each machine of the pool.
> - dave
>

> On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 03:44 -0700, Fernando Rannou wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm a little confused on how Condor handles priorities.
> > On Section 2.7.2 of the Condor manual it reads:
> > ---------
> > "The priority of each individual user changes according to the number
> > of resources the individual is using.
> >
> > "For instance, if a low priority user is utilizing all available
machines
> > and suddenly a higher priority user submits jobs, Condor
> > will immediately checkpoint and vacate jobs belonging to
> > the lower priority user."
> >
> > ---------
> > Which priority do they refer to? Effective, Real, Factor??
> >
> > We need that once a job is running it never, ever
> > gets preempted, suspended, killed, or whatever
> > no matter how long it's been running and
> > no matter how low its priority is.
> >
> > How can I accomplished that?
> > Thanks
> >
> > Fernando

> > IMPORTANT WARNING:  This email (and any attachments) is only intended
for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may
contain information that is privileged and confidential.  You, the
recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential
manner.  Unauthorized redisclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality
may subject you to federal and state penalties. If you are not the
recipient, please immediately notify us by return email, and delete this
message from your computer.