Re: [condor-users] requiring a project code to start a job

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, David A. Kotz wrote:

> Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but for various reasons I've just
> recently been able to implement this plan.  I've customized the
> condor_config thusly:
>
> START = $(UTCS_START)
>
> IsOwner = !UWCS_START
>
> ValidProject =  ((TARGET.Project =?= "ARCHITECTURE") || \
>                 (TARGET.Project =?= "FORMAL_METHODS")|| \
>                 (TARGET.Project =?= "AI_ROBOTICS")   || \
>                 (TARGET.Project =?= "OPERATING_DISTRIBUTED_SYSTEMS")|| \
>                 (TARGET.Project =?= "NETWORKING_MULTIMEDIA")        || \
>                 (TARGET.Project =?= "PROGRAMMING_LANGUAGES")        || \
>                 (TARGET.Project =?= "THEORY")                       || \
>                 (TARGET.Project =?= "GRAPHICS_VISUALIZATION")       || \
>                 (TARGET.Project =?= "COMPONENT_BASED_SOFTWARE")     || \
>                 (TARGET.Project =?= "SCIENTIFIC_COMPUTING")         || \
>                 (TARGET.Project =?= "COMPUTATIONAL_BIOLOGY")        || \
>                 (TARGET.Project =?= "INSTRUCTIONAL")                || \
>                 (TARGET.Project =?= "OTHER"))
>
> UTCS_START      = ( (KeyboardIdle > $(StartIdleTime)) && \
>                         ( $(CPUIdle) || \
>                         (State != "Unclaimed" && State != "Owner")) && \
>                         $(ValidProject) && (TARGET.ProjectDescription) )

> Unfortunately, when users submit jobs with something like:
>
> +Project = "AI_ROBOTICS"
> +ProjectDescription = "simulating tribble navigation through turbolift
> system"
>
> in the submit description files, all of the machines refuse to start the
> jobs.  If I change START back to UWCS_START and send a condor_reconfig
> command, the jobs run just fine.  I've checked the job classads to
> verify that Project and ProjectDescription are in them, and I've checked
> the machine classads to make sure that they are checking the above
> conditions.
>
> The second problem with the above scenario is that the startd exits
> after complaining about a syntax error in evaluating the !UWCS_START
> expression.  I've tried it with !UWCS_START, !($UWCS_START),
> and !($(UWCS_START)), and it doesnt like any of them.  This does not
> effect the dedicated compute nodes in my clusters because I've set Owner
> to FALSE on all of them, but I can't currently scavenge any cycles from
> the desktop machines.
>
> Have I done something silly, or is something strange happening?  Is it
> the way I'm checking to make sure ProjectDescription has a value?

The ! operator is not supported by the ClassAd system used in Condor. You
can get the same effect by comparing the value to True or False like one
of the following:

IsOwner = UWCS_START == False

IsOwner = UWCS_START != True

|            Jaime Frey            | I stayed up all night playing   |
|        jfrey@xxxxxxxxxxx         | poker with tarot cards. I got a |
|  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~jfrey/  | full house and four people died.|