Re: [Condor-users] How to run jobs ONLY when no users are logged in?

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:06:27AM +0100, Bruce Beckles wrote:

> Hi everyone -
>
> 	I would like to set up some 'execute-only' machines to run Condor
> jobs ONLY when no users are logged in to the machines, i.e. -
>
> - Jobs should only start when there is no one logged into the machine, NOT
>   if someone is logged in but hasn't generated any keyboard or mouse
>   activity for a while.
>
> - As soon as a user logs out, the machine should be available for Condor
>   jobs (i.e. it shouldn't wait around until a certain amount of
>   KeyboardIdle time has passed).
>
> Is this possible?  I've looked at the manual and various example
> configuration files, but I can't see how to do this.

Which OS?

The condor_startd doesn't automatically detect if anyone's logged in or
not (though on a lot of them the code that detects if someone is using the
keyboard also knows if someone is logged in, we just don't put that into
the startd ad).

You could also use the startd_cron functionality to write a script that decides
if someone is logged in or not.

-Erik