Re: [Condor-users] afs vs nfs vs separate file systems

Miskell, Craig wrote:

In the style of IT everywhere: "it depends".

If your blast database for a given run is smaller than the available
main memory of the compute node, then you'll see minimal performance
difference.  This is because the linux kernel will use spare RAM as a
disk buffer cache.  Thus, after the first sequence, as each subsequent
sequence is blasted, the blast program "reads" the database, which the
kernel conveniently already has in RAM.  Speed is good ;-)  As
speculation, I'd say that a shared filesystem might be slightly faster,
as processing will be interleaved during the initial read, whereas if
you copy the db to local disk, then your compute node does nothing while
it's copying the file, then starts processing.  But that's probably a
minor consideration, assuming your blasting any signficant number of
sequences.

If your blast database does *not* fit into main memory, then your
performance will drop either way, but it will be *much* better to have
the blast db on local disk.  This is because in this case, the kernel
uses memory as a disk buffer cache, but too much data is read, so "old"
data (the early parts of the database) are flushed and "new" data (later
parts of the database) are put into memory instead.  If you're using a
shared file system, this reading will translate into network traffic,
with all the associated latency, whereas a local copy will still be
slow, but will only be "disk speed" slow, not "network" slow.  ;-)

FWIW, we use local copies (not using condor yet for this, but that's the
plan when we do), and we've also seen *significant* speedups by
splitting up our large databases into separate chunks, each of which can
fit into memory. By doing that, our CPU usage actually hits 100%, as
opposed to barely hitting 20% (this is on dual 2.8Ghz Xeons).

HTH,
Craig Miskell