Re: [Condor-users] Unable to return output files upon completion.

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Sanjay Vivek wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently working on Condor 6.7 and it isn't transferring output
> files upon job completion. The job seems to be running and executing
> fine but it doesn't return the output files. The executable should
> return a bunch of output files in the same path. I'm not too sure what's
> going wrong but hopefully someone out there can point me in the right
> direction.I think I've narrowed it down somewhat, and what I tried out
> was copying the contents of the temporary file in Condor at
> condor/execute/dir_xxxx  to a separate directory and running it from
> there. And it worked just fine. Basically, I just ran the
> "C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe /Q /C condor_exec.bat finalus1.ief" whereby
> finalus1.ief is the argument file. So this means that the executable
> runs fine when it's run on it's own but Condor doesn't seem to execute
> it though. Is this something to do with the permissions set by Condor?
> I've checked all the files and the permissions are set for everyone. As
> far as I can tell, Condor actually runs the executable but it doesn't
> execute it. I'm not entirely sure why though cos all the files which are
> required to run the executable are copied over to the temporary
> directory and it should just run. And it does run when I copy the
> contents over to a separate directory. I'm guessing it's something to do
> with the permissions given to or by Condor. Can you think of anything
> else I should be doing? BTW, I'm running everything on my own machine
> via Personal Condor and I'm using a Windows 2000 machine. My submit file
> is shown below. Thanks again!
>
> executable                 = test_isis.bat
> universe                     = vanilla
> arguments                  = finalus1.ief
> transfer_files              = always
> transfer_input_files     = isis.set,GLUE1.dat
> output                        = test.out
> getenv                        = true
> error                          = test.error
> log                             = test.log
> queue

Did you try any of the things I suggested in my previous reply? I'll quote
it here. Replace the shell script with an appropriate batch file (I didn't
konw you were running on windows):

Is your program creating file with simple filenames or with filenames that
contain paths? Condor creates a directory to run your job in and only
transfers back files created in that directory (not even files in
subdirectories).

Try submitting a shell script like the following with the same file
transfer options:

#!/bin/sh
/bin/date > data1
/bin/pwd  > data2

If data1 and data2 don't show up, then we know it's not something specific
to your application.

Is the condor execute directory on the execute machine on a shared
filesystem? (Log into the execute machine and run 'condor_config_val
execute') This can cause problems if there's any clock skew between the

You can also try explicitly stating what output files to transfer back
using transfer_output_files in your submit file.

|            Jaime Frey            |  Public Split on Whether        |
|        jfrey@xxxxxxxxxxx         |  Bush Is a Divider              |
|  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~jfrey/  |         -- CNN Scrolling Banner |