Re: [Condor-users] changing requirements after a job is submitted

On 4/18/05, Kewley, J (John) <j.kewley@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Make damn sure you get it right or you'll be VERY annoyed...
> >
> > Maybe this is interesting for you,
> >
> > For some reason, you have to write three quotation marks to
> > edit a string
> > value if you use Condor for Windows. For example, if you want
> > to change the
> > requirements from WINNT50 to WINNT51 you have to write
> >
> > Condor_qedit requirements """WINNT51"""
>
> Would
> Condor_qedit requirements '"WINNT51"'
>
> not work?
>
> In Unix and Linux you'd have to protect your params from the shell, I'd have thought
> the above would work in that case. If you are doing it from within a .cmd/.bat
> file then I suspect some other sort of quoting would be neccessary.

The cmd shell's escaping would appear not so well documented as for bash.

I find running most commands from cygwin much easier...

then just remember to escape any " which is not itself being used for
grouping a string with whiespace into one argument

so

condor_qedit Requirements "OpSys == \"WINNT51\" || OpSys == \"WINNT52\"" works.

cmd does not remove the surrounding quotes used to perform grouping
when passing the arguments along

[winXP]
>echo "foo bar"
"foo bar"

Contract this with bash [cygwin]:

$ echo "foo bar"
foo bar

motto - if you want to use command lines with potentially dangerous
chracters then

1) learn your command line shell
2) if 1 is unworkable get a new one :)

Matt