Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 6:20 PM
Subject: [Condor-users] Very slow response from condor_q and condor_status

I'm setting up a condor pool which is currently just barely up and running.  We have 1 Central Master server, 1 Submit only machine and 2 execute/submit machines.  All are running Redhat Enterprise Linux.  Occasionally we'll find that condor_q and condor_status will hang for long periods of time (1-2 minutes or more) before responding.  I haven't been able to reliably reproduce it, so I'm hoping that others may have seen something similar.

Things we've thought of:

It seems that it hangs at times when a job is sitting in the "2 Servers match, match, but reject the job for unknown reasons" stage, which I believe is waiting for the Negotiator.  We've lowered the NEGOTIATOR_INTERVAL to 30, which seemed to help a bit, but might have just been wishful thinking.

We raised the number of vm's per execute/submit machine from 1 to 2, which seems to have improved it, but that could easily be coincidence.

Condor's main directory is in /home/condor, which is an NFS mounted partition. We suspect that NFS might be hiccupping, preventing the collector from retrieving the status info.

At this point we don't know if the problem is with the machines, the network, condor or any of a hundred other things, but any insight into this problem would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot.

-Colin Little