Re: [Condor-users] Real world problem

On 12/6/05, itpals <tripathi.abhishek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Friends,
>
>         Before this mail I discussed a lot of condor related problems among
> us .Now i am going to put some real world scenario infront of all of us .I
> have to machine one having window 2000 professional and visual stduio 6.0
> and the other machine having only windows XP.Windows 2000 machine is working
> as central mangaer,submit machine and execute machine and the windows xp
> machine is working as submit and execute machine.
>
> I want to execute a large no of VC++ programs.Regarding this i have some
> queries...
>

> 1.)Can I execute the VC ++ programs through condor 6.6.10 ?

if you mean the compiled programs themselves should be fine
If you meant VC++ then it should be possible if perhaps fiddly

> 2.)Is VC++ complier needed on both machines for execution of jobs?

No. some runtimes might be though

> 3.)What will be the format of submit description file?

far too complicated to say - depends what you are doing

> 4.)If i have one more machine having Linux redhat 9 ,Is it possible that my
> VC++ job would get executed on all three machine    or it will execute only
> on windows machine.

Short answer not likely.
Long answer I don't know if windows api emulation environments such as
WINE would allow your program to run (nor whether anyone has done this
using condor)

If you have the source you will likely be able to make it cross
platform more easily than trying to layer WINE or similar into condor

I would suggest from this question that you may be trying to run
before you can walk here...

> 5.)Can we execute any type of job through condor?

Within the inherent limitations of the system and the OS involved.
This is too broad a question to provide a meaningful answer to you.

Matt