Re: [Condor-users] condor_off... doesn't

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:55:50 +0000, Billy Allan <billy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've installed condor on about 50 machines here which run as a cluster
> in the evening and boot back into regular work-mode during the day.
>
> How-ever, if I try and play nice and shut down condor with condor_off -
> nothing happens.
> I've tried running a strace on condor off and nothing un-toward seems to
> be happening... other than it not working!  This is under SuSE9.2
> (Kernel 2.6.8, glibc2.3).
>
> Anyone have any ideas?  How harmfull is it to simply pull the rug out
> from condor when shutting down?

I have used net stop condor on submission machines regularly. on
execute machines I would be wary...

Are you executing condor_off from a remote machine or locally... if
remote you may not be doing it from a machine with admin access - I
suggest taking a look in the master logs on the execute machines where
you may well find a line saying the equivalent of:
"I was asked to stop by machine X but they do not have permission."

condor_off doesn't normally kill the master, which means that the
whole system can be easily started later with condor_on.

Plus it means you can use -graceful or -peaceful if you so desire...

Matt