From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ian Chesal
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 9:44 AM
To: Condor-Users Mail List
Subject: RE: [Condor-users] Sorting submitter ads by RANK instead of
priority

> Is there a way for me to override Phase 3 in the negotiation
> cycle? Or to control the sort function that's used? I want to
> sort the ads in my system by RANK, or JobPrio. I don't care
> about EUP and would rather the system sorted by RANK or
> JobPrio or even better: some custom expression I can define.
> Also, is the order of Phase 4.1 from the lowest EUP user to
> the highest?
>
> Also, what's the difference between Phase 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, etc.?
>
> - Ian
>

> 1/24 17:42:39 ---------- Started Negotiation Cycle ----------
> 1/24 17:42:39 Phase 1:  Obtaining ads from collector ...
> 1/24 17:42:39   Getting all public ads ...
> 1/24 17:42:40   Sorting 405 ads ...
> 1/24 17:42:40   Getting startd private ads ...
> 1/24 17:42:40 Got ads: 405 public and 239 private
> 1/24 17:42:40 Public ads include 10 submitter, 239 startd
> 1/24 17:42:40 Phase 2:  Performing accounting ...
> 1/24 17:42:40 Phase 3:  Sorting submitter ads by priority ...
> 1/24 17:42:40 Phase 4.1:  Negotiating with schedds ...

This is not unlike talking to myself here. I thought I'd see what kind
of a response I could get from the condor admins for this idea. What if
I were to manage real priorties myself using an external script? My
needs are as such, for each user with currently queued jobs in the
system I want the users with the highest priority queued jobs (that's
JobPrio priority) to have the lowest real priority in my system before
each negotiation cycle. So if took each user, sorted based on their
highest priority and then called condor_userprio -setprio for each of
them I would effectivily be able to control the sort order, right?

I have a few questions for the condor admins now:

1. Is the growth rate of the condor-maintained real priority equal to
the decay rate? I don't want these values to either grow fast or decay
fast if I'm going to manage them externally like this. So will setting
PRIORITY_HALFLIST to very big make the real priority relativily static?

2. How often is good to call this script? Or better yet, can I have the
negotiator call the script pre-negotiation cycle (that'd be a great
feature). My initial thought was I'd want to arrange priorities every
minutes or so.

3. Will this mess up condorview information tracking at all? I don't
think so, since the view server is tracking allotted CPU time, but I
just wanted to make sure.

- Ian