Re: [Condor-users] security overhead in condor

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 03:38:06PM -0700, Lee Damon wrote:
> Has anyone done any timing of the bandwidth and latency issues of using
> security in condor?  One of the professors I work for wants to know
> if Condor does encryption of every packet (including or not including
> MPI-CH) or just does initial auth with it.
>
> Does anyone have any kind(s) of benchmarks on this?
>
> Also, is there much/any difference in Condor's MPI-CH use between
> cross-chip Vs. cross-network traffic?
>
> thanks,
> nomad

It's stock MPICH with the p4 device, so any MPI network traffic does not
take any path through Condor. Condor just copies the executable
to the remote machine and starts it up, much like mpirun.

To answer your more generic question, if you turn on encryption it is for
all network traffic, not just the initial authorization. I don't believe
anyone has done any studies of the speed, but we just use the encryption
calls out of OpenSSL, so it shouldn't be much more than the difference
between rcp and scp.

-Erik