RE: [Condor-users] Using condor to update condor

Requirements for redeploying:
1. Capability to farm things out around a pool
2. On a machine by machine basis, knowing when you cna do the upgrade

Both of these things sound like Condor would be a good move for this.
The first obvious problem is
3. Permissions to update the binaries on that machine

Personally, on the face of it I think it would be a very nice feature,
as long as appropriate flags were enabled in the condor_config files of course
maybe you'd need something in addition to HOSTALLOW_CONFIG and
HOSTALLOW_ADMINISTRATOR like HOSTALLOW_UPGRADE.

Having said that, I can see some problems:
a) I think host-based authentication is used for HOSTALLOW_X, this can mean that
    ANYONE logged onto a condor central node can reconfigure machines with that
    flag enabled, and in the proposal above can replace binaries which run with some
    privelege !!
b) While I am comfortable with the notion of sending arbitrary executables round a
   condor pool that run as nobody, or user X. Doing that for
   privileged executables sounds nasty.

JK