Re: [Condor-users] Running MATLAB on Condor

Hi

We quickly found our Win32 Condor pool could use up all our floating Matlab licenses, so disallowed Matlab to book out a license by putting an exclusion in the Flexlm Matlab options file:-
EXCLUDEALL condor-reuse-vm1

This forces users to use 'compile' their Matlab code and submit that to Condor. 'Compiling' uses a compiler license once and produces standalone code which runs without licenses - neither for Matlab or any used toolboxes etc. It doesn't actually compile, just creates a packaged, encrypted version of the source code. It can also be packaged with the MCR (Matlab Component Runtime) which includes Matlab DLLs etc for standalone operation - running on PCs where Matlab hasn't been installed.
Details on the Matlab compiler and MCR at <http://www.mathworks.com/products/compiler/?BB=1>.

Beware that swapping between different versions of Matlab on Win32 requires local admin rights - there is a registry toggle in HHKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\.

I think Mathworks would instead prefer us to buy the Matlab Distributed Computing Toolbox and Matlab Distributed Computing Engine to do cluster computing. But it ain't Condor!

	regards
		Patrick.