Re: [Condor-users] How to ensure jobs scheduled first to free nodes

Andrew,

That is exactly how I would do it, yes -- in fact, just this morning I sent this very solution to someone privately asking the same question.

-Peter

Andrew Zahn wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know how to ensure jobs are scheduled onto free nodes, that is 1 per node, rather then 1 per processor on a dual processor node. Also, I would like to know how to configure the same situation if the nodes are hyperthreaded and showing 4 processors.

What we have come up with here is, In order to send jobs first to free nodes it can be used something like the condor_schedd configuration variable APPEND_RANK:

  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.7/3_3Configuration.html#9795

(to append an expression at the rank coming from the jobs)

Something to consider the VM id is:

  APPEND_RANK = (0 - VirtualMachineId)

Is this the proper way to go about this?

Thanks,
Andrew Zahn

--
Peter Couvares                        University of Wisconsin-Madison
Condor Project Research               Department of Computer Sciences