Re: [Condor-users] Defusing a Condor bomb?

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Matt Hope wrote:

On 10/26/05, Chris Green <greenc@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>

Is there some way to throttle the frequency at which jobs from the same user start executing to prevent this happening?

same user no (I think). same schedd yes...

http://condor.optena.com/display/CONDOR/JOB_START_DELAY

note however that the jobs will have been matched so you would have to
then prevent them from starting - this would be rather inefficient.

I do not believe there is any easy way of only allowing x jobs to be
negotiated and accepted at a time (which is what you would need to
do).

I'm not sure this would do the trick, since the load check has already been done, right (it's in Requirements)? Once the job has been matched, it's going to start on some machine whether it takes 1 second or 10, and still drive the load through the roof. I think what I need is some way of adding the schedd's time-since-last-match to the requirements clause. Is that something that can be done? If its by schedd rather than by user, that's fine: 30 secs should be enough to prevent a load cascade.

Thanks,
Chris.

Matt

Thanks,
Chris.

--
Chris Green, MiniBooNE / LANL. Email greenc@xxxxxxxx
Tel: (630) 840-2167. Fax: (630) 840-3867