Re: [Condor-users] checkpoint on java

On 8/4/06, Jaime Frey <jfrey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In theory, you could run java jobs in the standard universe by condor-
compiling the jvm. The jvm would have to obey all of the restrictions
of the standard universe, most notably no threads. I don't know if
anyone's successfully tried it.

Every modern VM I've seen* uses some level of threading to attempt to
gain any shred of concurrency they can from the GC process.
Notably in Java the finalizer thread will almost certainly be a deal
breaker without full source access to the JVM.

You will probably get more bang for buck trying to alter your app to
be able to do some form of self checkpointing...

Matt

* disclaimer - I have spent very little time on java since I started using .Net