Re: [Condor-users] condor on dhcp environment

You may not need to edit /etc/hosts. In the project Matt is referring to we simply set an environment variable to point to the currently assigned IP address of the machine.

Ex:
 _CONDOR_NETWORK_INTERFACE="172.16.241.130"

This only needs to be in the environment of the process that executes the condor_master. If you can assume that IP addresses only change at reboot you can write a simple wrapper script around the condor_master that queries for the new IP address, sets this variable, then execs the master.

If on the other hand, there is a hard-limit on the lease time for IP addresses your task becomes more difficult because you must handle IP address changes while condor is running. This requires detecting the change, reseting the env variable, and restarting condor.

Allowing the CM to have a dynamically assigned IP is even more difficult. Other nodes must be able to find the CM, this requires DNS with low latency or Howl(AutoConf). Additionally, other nodes must be able to detect an IP address change for the CM and restart. If you aren't using DNS, the env variable _CONDOR_COLLECTOR_HOST must be set to the new IP address using dashes instead of dots. And the config file must specify that you aren't using DNS.

Ex:
(In the env)
_CONDOR_COLLECTOR_HOST="172-16-241-130"
(In the config)
NO_DNS="TRUE"

Not a simple task. And there is some inherent latency, since non-CM nodes must poll (using a cron script possible) every X amount of time to determine whether the CM's address has changed.

_joe

Matthew Farrellee wrote:
A group of students here (myself included) did some experimenting with an environment similar to yours in the spring. I seem to remember we concluded that when the IP of your CM changes you should restart the daemons on your execute nodes so you are sure that the IP change is noticed. That should be as easy as your script updating / etc/hosts and then firing off a "condor_off -master && sleep a bit && condor_master"

Best,

matt