Re: [Condor-users] Default setting of NETWORK_INTERFACE

Michael Thomas wrote:
Hi Derek,

Derek Wright wrote:
On May 19, 2006, at 11:39 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

Is there an easy way to tell condor 6.7.18 to prefer private addresses instead of public addresses? Or is there some wildcard that we can set to avoid having to set NETWORK_INTERFACE for each machine individually?

nope, sorry.

something like:

NETWORK_INTERFACE=192.168.0.*
NETWORK_INTERFACE=192.168.0.0/24

these two would be fairly easy to add, would be almost entirely portable, and a definite usability win. i'm not sure the netmask notation would buy you much over a simple string wildcard, to be honest.

Some network types like to use the netmask notation instead of wildcards
because it's more flexible when you want to subdivide a class-C into
multiple subnets, like 192.168.0.0/28.  Personally, the former would
suit me just fine.

[...]

the wildcard is an interesting approach that we'll consider. thanks for the suggestion.

I have no preference of one over the other.  If one of them is easier to
implement then I certainly won't complain about it.  :)

I'm setting up another cluster, this time with condor 6.8.2. I tried setting 'NETWORK_INTERFACE=10.255.255.*' in condor_config, and condor did bind to the correct interface. But it did not seem to find the correct local IP address for the machine on that network:

12/4 16:21:00 attempt to connect to <10.255.255.255:33270> failed: Network is unreachable (connect errno = 101). Will keep trying for 20 total seconds (20 to go).

If I set 'NETWORK_INTERFACE=10.*.*.*', then it ignores the setting and listens on the public interface. Is there a different way that I'm supposed to specify the local interface/IP without setting NETWORK_INTERFACE=<local-ip> in every host's condor_config.local?

--Mike