Re: [Condor-users] CONDOR Windows Client Security

Hi!

On 2/8/06, Gregory Regan <gregory.regan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are currently setting up a Condor Grid to utilise the spare capacity
> of our staff and student PCs and the question of security has been
> raised.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to submit a Condor job that can, for
> instance, access (read, write, modify) the various user folders under
> 'documents and settings' or other secure folders?

yes, if user under which condor runs has permissions for that.

> I understand that the Condor service runs using the local system account
> and this obviously has elevated privileges.  I have also come across the
> dynamically created account 'condor-reuse-vm1' (it is shown as disabled)
> which is a member of the local users group - is this the account that
> Condor actually uses to run jobs locally??

If you do nothing for securing windows, you might end up with all
users running as Adminstrators, in which case, well, don't blame
condor. But, if you limit users ( and groups like Users, Everyone etc.
) to be able to live only in a limited environment, The opposite is
true.

you should refer to this:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.7/6_2Microsoft_Windows.html
namely chapter: 6.2.4 (Security Considerations in Condor for Windows)

and, of course http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.7/3_7Security.html#sec:RunAsNobody

It answers your questions.