[Condor-users] use free machines first but overload cpu's

Hi all,

I am new to condor. At the moment I have installed a small linux cluster. Up to now we can just use the vanilla universe, but if the acceptance of the user and the system administrators will be good, I would like to install it on all 30 machines.

I use condor 6.6.10 with debian x86-sarge.

My problem is the following: All users should have the same priority and can use all machines. Its intended to give all users maximum throughput. If there are small jobs which can be parallised they should always run!

If I use just as many cpu's as there are (6 at the moment) than I can use just 6 jobs at once. If there would be a user who wants to run a job splitted to 6 cpu's (on filebase) which take in total 5 minutes it could happen, that
he have to wait for hours or days for this job, which is not acceptable.

with NUM_CPUS = ,
I can change this, but it seems, that condor uses first all 6 (of course virtual) cpus of the first machine
and then it starts with the next one!

What I want to have is:
I allow a maximum of 4 jobs per real cpu. We have 2 types (later 3 or 4 types) of cpus: fast and faster.
condor should use
1. all faster cpu with one job
2. all fast cpu with one job

if there are 6 jobs each real cpu should run one of them.
if there are 12 jobs, each real cpu should run two of them
and so on!

For me the condor configuration is too sophisticated and I don't find the
correct setting for the above task. Therefore it would be very helpful if someone can lead me in the right direction.

Many Thanks in advance
Harald