Re: [Condor-users] Condor advise

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Groenwold, Jan wrote:

To all condor-experts/users

I'd like to know what the requirements are for sumbission machines to a
Condorgrid.
We now have approximately 60 cpu's in our grid and with 60 jobs at a
time, the submitmachine could be very busy as scheduler and
shadowprocesses.
What happens if we grow to maybe 300+  cpu's ? Should we then use a high
performance submission machine for example? I've read something about
that a sheduler machine can starve for cpu time?

In all grid machines you can never have too much RAM.  RAM is gold.
My main scheduler machine is dual Xeon 3.6 GHz with 6GB of RAM
which was the fastest machine available at the time and as much memory
as we could then put into it.

High-performant disk doesn't hurt either.

If you go to 300 CPU's, the machine that runs collector and negotiator
should be a different machine than the one that runs the schedd.

Steve

So what's the critical success factor for such a grid?
Could you give advise in these and is it possible to suggest how to
build a sophisticated gridcomputing system.
We work at the university with MS Windows systems and mostly Fortran
applications for gridcomputing.

Kind regards,
Jan