Re: [Condor-users] Condor on Intel Macs

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 02:24:55PM -0700, Safeer Jiwan wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm interested to know if anyone has attempted to run Condor on a Mac
> OS X Intel system.
>
> The documentation does state that "Given MacOS's support for running
> PPC binaries in emulation (their ``Rosetta'' system), the existing
> Condor binaries built for PPC MacOS 10.3 might work."
>
> Details of any issues you've had as well as any performance loss
> would be appreciated.

It mostly works, and whatever slowdown Rosetta adds isn't really noticable,
Condor isn't CPU-intensive.

The one thing that doesnt work very well is running Condor as non-root,
because of the task_for_pid() change to the Mach kernel. Because of the
new tfp policy settings, we can't track processes unless Condor is
root or a member of the procview group - even if they're the same uid.
This is disappointing, and we're not sure what we're going to do yet.

-Erik