[Condor-users] Preemption question

Hi,
	To follow on from the "Preemption question" thread of March this
year
(https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/condor-users/2006-March/msg00353.shtm
l), I have run into an interesting situation.
I, too, thought I had disabled pre-emption with:
PREEMPT                 = FALSE

Lo and behold, some jobs got pre-empted last night (the first time my
pool has had any real contention for resources).  From my reading of the
only if the machine has a RANK expression which results in it preferring
a different job to the one currently running.  If that understanding is
correct, then something weird is going on, as all my startds have a Rank
of 0 (I've done nothing special).

Interestingly, in this case the preferred/pre-empting job had a Rank =
Mips, whereas the pre-empted/evicted job had a Rank of 0.  This may be a
red-herring, but does seem suspiciously related.  Should the job Rank
have any effect on preemption (I would have thought it wouldn't even be
considered until the Negotiator had decided that a given Startd was a
candidate for satisfying the claim).

I'm going to set MaxJobRetirementTime to something large as a
pre-emptive (pun intended) strike against such things happening again,
but I'm curious as to why this might have happened at all, as it
indicates a lack of understanding on my part.

Condor version is 6.7.18, running on linux (x86_64 and i386).

Craig Miskell,
Technical Support,
AgResearch Invermay
03 489-9279
"Cynical" is a term invented by optimists to describe realists.
sender immediately.