Re: [Condor-users] submit file strict syntax checking (was Re: Libraryaccess problem)

> On 3/7/06, Erik Paulson <epaulson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 07:15:49PM -0800, Junaid N. Sahibzada wrote:
> > >   enivornment =
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/nfs/mid/projects/Registration/vtkCIS
> G/lib:/nfs/mid/projects/Registration/vtkCISG/tcl/vtkview/inclu
> de:/usr/local/lib/vtk:/nfs/mid/projects/Registration/vtkCISG/l
> ib:/nfs/mid/homes/sah006/bhautik
> >
> > environment is misspelled. Alas, condor doesn't complain
> when this happens.
> >
> > (Actually - we're thinking about changing it so it does
> complain when
> > it sees a word it doesn't use - what it breaks is macros,
> right now you
> > can do:
> >
> > some_missplledd_werd = foo
> >
> > executable = $(some_missplledd_werd)
> >
> > what we'd change it to is is
> >
> > set macro_name = macro_value
> > executable = $(macro_name)
> >
> > And if condor_submit saw anything other than a keyword it
> knew, 'set', or
> > '+', it would complain.
> >
> > There are a couple of options to make it
> backwards-compatiable with old
> > submit files. Does anyone out there have strong feelings
> about this?)

[thanks for changing subject line Matt or I wouldn't have read it!]

Excellent plan.

I agree with Matt's idea about putting something like a
"use strict" to turn this on.

Other alternatives would be

* Having any "set X = Y" turning it on (although this'd have to be near top of file)
* Having one of the following in your file which would turn on strict for
  rest of file:
  SyntaxCheck = STRICT
  set SyntaxCheck = STRICT
  (or equivalent, changing case as appropriate!)

I prefer the latter since it has the flexibility of :
* Allowing you to turn checking on and off (if for instance you have large chunks
  of code you don't want to upgrade
* permits more than 2 values : STRICT, OFF, ...

SyntaxCheck is a bit wordy, but it is too early in the morning for me to think
of a better word (its not even lunch yet!)

Great idea

JK