Re: [Condor-users] Simple DAGman problem

Mark,

> Thanks to the developers for all their efforts.
> I'm running condor version:
> $CondorVersion: 6.6.10 Jun 22 2005 $
> $CondorPlatform: INTEL-WINNT50 $
>
> I seem to be doing something simple wrong:  I have two condor job
> files that run fine when run separately.
> However, if I call them using the following DAGman file I get an
> message from Condor that doesn't indicate anything is wrong, but the
> jobs don't get submitted, in fact using condor_submit_dag -no_submit
> doesn't result in the intermediate condor.sub file that the
> documentation mentions..  The Condor message is below the Dagman file:
>
> JOB Inspect4R 		InspectForR.sub
> JOB RunRJob		GenData_R.sub
> VARS RunRJob	      RPresent = $RETURN
> PARENT Inspect4R     CHILD RunRJob
> Queue
>
> Checking all your submit files for a consistent log file name.
> This might take a while...

I'll be the problem is the fact that you don't have double quotes around
your value in the VARS definition, e.g.,

    VARS RunRJob        RPresent = "hello, world"

Also, $RETURN is only defined for POST scripts, not jobs, because it's
the return value of the job.

I guess condor_submit_dag should generate some error messages...  I'll
check whether it does in 6.7, at least.

> I should note that there is no error, log or output files defined in
> either of the two job files used in the DAGMan file.

That's another problem -- the node jobs *must* define log files -- if they
don't, DAGMan has no way to monitor their progress, because it does so by
reading events from the log files.

Kent Wenger
Condor Team