Re: [Condor-users] Condor on Ubundu Linux

The easiest thing to do is to run synaptic, which is a package management GUI, and search for "libstdc++". You should see version 6 already installed, and you should be able to mark version 5 for install, then click the Apply button.

- dave

Kewley, J (John) wrote:
Actually, it's just the opposite. Breezy uses version 6, and you'll need to add version 5 libstdc++, which seems to co-exist peacefully with version 6.

Sorry, yes - that was what I meant - a typo.

I know nothing about Ubuntu - its just the OS on the machine I have been told
I can use for our temporary central node until we can buy some proper hardware.

It is Debian based.

Cheers

JK

Kewley, J (John) wrote:
I am trying Ubuntu (presumably, but not neccessarily the
same as Ubundu) 5.10
I get the error:
---
# ./condor_configure --type=submit,execute,manager
--install-dir=/opt/condor \
  --local-dir=/opt/condor/local.condor --install
/opt/condor-6.7.18/bin/condor_config_val: error while
libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory
Unable to find local directory!
---

Looking in /usr/lib:
---
# ls -l /usr/lib/libstdc++*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Nov 23 16:43
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 919540 Oct 1 15:14
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.5
---

Checking version of gcc:
---
# g++ -v
gcc version 4.0.2 20050808 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.0.1-4ubuntu9)
---

My first guess is that the libstdg++ needed for
condor_config_val (and presumably
other parts of condor) is version 6 and what is installed
is version 5.
Whether there is an easy workaround for this (copying files
for instance!), I don't
kow as I haven't tried yet.

This machine was going to be our new central node, so I
hope we can get it up and running quickly.
Cheers

JK