Re: [Condor-users] Condor SOAP bug: stopping server when there are pending transactions hangs daemons

Matthew Farrellee wrote:
On May 1, 2006, at 5:42 PM, David E. Konerding wrote:

Hi,

I am noticing a very inconvenient bug with Condor SOAP:

If a transaction is begun, and has not yet expired, stopping the condor
master causes all the daemons to go to a zombie
state and hang around.

This is probably the same problem as the condor_q issue below. All Condor daemons are single threaded, so if there is a SOAP transaction active no one can talk to the Schedd. I'm guessing that the Master just gives up trying to tell it's children to shutdown at some point and exits. If the children are shutdown serially then a "hanging" Schedd at the beginning of the child list would account for this.

I'm confused by this answer. There is nothing in a single threaded application which prevents a server from maintaining more than one simultaneous transaction (database servers do this all the time). Nor is there anything that prevents a server from listening to a port and responding to multiple requests (nearly) simultaneously. So does this mean that the Condor source base itself has the limitation of one transaction at a time?

What's happening when condor_q is being run at multiple times, or being run when something is being submitted: is condor_submit using transactions internally, and condor_q blocks while submits are in progress?

Finally, what does this mean for me writing a web service job submitted and monitor where multiple submitters and monitors will be accessing the same Condor SOAP server? From my perspective, it means all my client codes have to be aware of the single-transaction limit and has to retry operations, and be aggressive about asking for long transaction times (because I'm doing file transfers and there could be network timeouts, I don't want to lose an entire job submission and file transfer transaction just because there was a network dropout), yet be careful to close down those transactions. If a single client crashes with a long transaction outstanding, it'll host all the other clients.

Dave