Re: [Condor-users] Preempting a job after 48 hours

On May 9, 2006, at 12:31 PM, Ian Chesal wrote:

If I was wanting to have a hard limit on the length of time that a job
can run and set that to 48 hours how would I do that?

I know I can set MaxJobRetirementTime to some releatively small time,
say 72 hours, but I am guessing that I need to set some sort of
preempt
expression that is time based.

Anyone have a recipe for doing this? ie putting a hard time limit on
all
jobs on the cluster of some specific time?

See the periodic_remove submit command:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.7/condor_submit.html#53487

You can use that to kill a job that's run longer than you want.

Using periodic_remove is fine if you control the job submissions. If, instead, you want to enforce it from the startd side, you can set your PREEMPT expression to fire after some amount of time. Example:

MaxWallTime = 3600 * 24 * 3
PREEMPT = (State == "Claimed") && $(ActivationTimer) > $(MaxWallTime)

--Dan