Re: [Condor-users] Default setting of NETWORK_INTERFACE

On May 19, 2006, at 11:39 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

Is there an easy way to tell condor 6.7.18 to prefer private addresses instead of public addresses? Or is there some wildcard that we can set to avoid having to set NETWORK_INTERFACE for each machine individually?

nope, sorry.

something like:

NETWORK_INTERFACE=192.168.0.*
NETWORK_INTERFACE=192.168.0.0/24

these two would be fairly easy to add, would be almost entirely portable, and a definite usability win. i'm not sure the netmask notation would buy you much over a simple string wildcard, to be honest.

NETWORK_INTERFACE=eth0

this turns out to be a nightmare for portability. :( there's no single way to find out what network interfaces are on a machine and what their IP addresses are. every OS does this differently. they don't all even use "eth0", as their interface naming convention. so, we'd have to write (and continue to port/maintain) a whole library of platform-specific code to find this info, attempt to standardize on an interface naming scheme, etc, etc. not going to happen. ;)

the wildcard is an interesting approach that we'll consider. thanks for the suggestion.

-derek (condor team)