[Condor-users] Fwd: Possible solution for F90/95 on Condor on RHEL x8

This is reposted from an email sent to condor-admin by Henry Neeman. Others
might find it useful.

Condor folks,

I'm not sure whether this is the correct e-mail address for this
comment, so please feel free to forward.

And possibly y'all are already aware of this.

Officially, Condor on RHEL or Fedora Core on x86 only supports
gcc/g++/g77, which means that there's no Fortran90/95 support.

I've tried g95 and gfortran, but condor_compile doesn't appear to
work with them.

However, I've discovered that NAG f95 (www.nag.com) seems to be
compatible with condor_compile.

Specifically, NAG f95 is a Fortran95-to-C translator that calls gcc.
For linking, it uses gcc plus its own F90 libraries.

For the link step, I created a shell script named condor_compile_f95
that looks like this:

---

#!/bin/tcsh

setenv f95_dryrun `f95 ${argv} -dryrun |& egrep -v -e '^$'`
condor_compile ${f95_dryrun}

---

The idea is that -dryrun shows the gcc command that f95 would
otherwise be executing (but doesn't actually execute it), like so:

   % f95 -mismatch -C=array -O0 -unsharedf95 -o transport transport.o -dryrun
   /usr/bin/gcc -o transport /usr/lib/nagf95/quickfit.o transport.o
   /usr/lib/nagf95/libf98.a -lm

I've had good success on a couple of test codes so far.

I think that NAG f95 may be a good solution for people who want to
run F90 codes over Condor on RHEL or Fedora Core on x86.

The NAG f95 man page also suggests that their compiler also supports
Fortran2003, but I don't have any F2003 code, so I can't test that.

One minor downside:  for academic users, the compiler costs $240 for
a single node-locked seat:  it's cheap, but not free.

---

Henry Neeman (hneeman@xxxxxx)
Director, OU Supercomputing Center for Education & Research (OSCER)
Adjunct Assistant Professor, School of Computer Science
Research Scientist, Center for Analysis & Prediction of Storms
University of Oklahoma
Stephenson Research & Technology Center
101 David L. Boren Blvd., Norman OK 73019
405-325-5386 (office), 405-325-3442 (fax), 405-245-3823 (cell)
http://www.oscer.ou.edu/