Re: [Condor-users] a gui tool for condor

Hello,

Nice work and a good start, but things need a bit more polishing.

General:
= the messages are too cryptic, e.g., 'please enter the path of condor' --
by trial and error I discovered that this is the path to the root
directory of Condor, not the executables (bin) or management (sbin)
directories within;

= the program does not find the CONDOR_CONFIG file, even if the
environment variable exists and points to it, so many of the nice features
cannot be tested;
  I have my condor config file in
/scratch/test/condor/condor-6.8.0/etc/condor_config, which is the default
config file name, assuming that the Condor directory is known.
Since the program asks for the Condor directory location, it should have
been able to locate the config file. Maybe a specific config file dialog
that would allow the selection of the config file might help.

Submission:
= since the program's interface does not cover all the submit file cases
(and it probably shouldn't even try) there should exist a field for other
parts of the config file; even better, the user should be allowed to see
and to edit the generated submission file;

= in particular, because the program always overwrites the submit file
before starting the submission, email notifications will always be on;
consider at least adding something that would allow "notification = never"
to be inserted in the submission file.

Import submit file:
= the program opens always the user's home directory when an open file
operation is started; consider saving the last location and starting the
open file dialog there, or at least have a history of recent files to
select from;

= the submission file opener should have the proper filter, e.g., *.sub,
to allow a more efficient selection; it should also include an all files
filter, but as a last resort for the user;

= if the opened file cannot be imported, there should be a warning; if the
selected submit file looks like a binary (usually submit files have the
name of the binary plus the sub extension, e.g., myexe.sub for myexe
binary), there should be an alert;

= when importing a submit file, the executable arguments are lost;

= when importing a submit file, the requirements are lost.

Tutorial:
= when showing that the number of jobs submitted with one command can be
greater than 1, consider indicating that output, log, and error file names
should include $(Process) for differentiated results per job.

That's it for the moment; I hope it helps.

Regards,

Alexandru

--
Alexandru Iosup
PhD Track, Parallel and Distributed Systems Group