Re: [Condor-users] Condor and VMWare

Hello,

The best solution would probably be to use the free VMWare Server
product. Also I would tailor the SUSE virtual machine to run in a
console-only mode as graphical display is unnecessary. You can
then use the condor job to use the vmware-cmd executable, pointing
to the appropriate .vmx file to start the SUSE virtual machine. If
appropriately set up you can then potentially get the SUSE machine
to start up its own Condor instance and register back as a new
resource. Ideally you'd want to keep the two pools (the real machines
to which you are sending control messages to start up virtual machines)
and the virtual machine Condor instances logically separate. You can
then do additional useful things such as force the virtual machines
to hibernate themselves, migrate them, save progress, etc. if appropriate
scripts and integration with suitable file transfer are added.

Regards,

Aaron Turner
White Rose Grid Technical Manager,
University of York,UK