Re: [Condor-users] Too many popen() calls in DAGMan ?

On 9/6/06, Masakatsu Ito <m-ito@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thank you for your prompt response, and advices.

no prob

We use Linux PC to manage  condor  pool,  so  I check  its
/proc/sys/kernel/threads-max . The maximum number of processes
is 32474 .

Is this too small for my simulations, where .dag file consists of 16341
nodes
and 396*2 jobs are submitted to CONDOR simultaneously?

For the shadows this should be fine. each running job uses one
process, so 128 in 32K is fine

> As to the version you might want to take a look at the BugFixes in
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.7/8_3Development_Release.html
> to see if there is any thing about DAGMan you should know

I find that version 6.7.19 of condor_dagman no longer uses
the popen() system call.  So, if the usage of popen() causes
the failure of job submissions,  the later version of DAGMan would
complete my simulations.  But shadow daemon may eat up
our process/thread limit (kernel.threads-max = 32474).

hmmm, I'm a bit confused...  I'd appreciate more help or hints.

That sounds like it is the culprit. Upgrading to 6.7.19+ would be in order.

Matt