Re: [Condor-users] condor_schedd running under the wrong user

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 11:04:28PM -0600, Jaime Frey wrote:
> The schedd starts life as root, then switches its effective uid to
> 'condor' for most of its life. It switches to users' uids temporarily
> to perform actions as the users (access job files, starting scheduler
> universe jobs, etc.). What's probably happening is that the schedd is
> freezing in the middle of one of these operations. Problems talking
> to the nfs server could easily cause this.

Thank you so much for the reply, Jaime.  I actually figured out what the problem
was the yesterday, and it did indeed have to do with the NFS server.  The lockd
module on the server had been configured to run on a particular port, but the
module had actually never been reloaded, so it was still running on a random
port that was being blocked by the server firewall.  It's something that I
should have caught earlier.

> Could you set the following in your Condor config file and then send
> us the end of the schedd log the next time this happens:
> SCHEDD_DEBUG = D_FULLDEBUG D_COMMAND

I had actually tried this, but without the D_COMMAND.   I had thought
D_FULLCOMMAND would cover everything, but it wasn't really providing anything
that helped me debug.  Maybe because the daemon was just frozen and not able to
write anything to the logs?

Anyway, thanks again for the response.  I really appreciate it.

jamie.