[Condor-users] Understanding rank, LoadAvg and ...

Hi,
I have two SMP (4 cpus each) machines: coral31 and coral32. In the machine ClassAd of coral31 I set RANK=2.0 and in coral32 RANK=1.0. Then I submit a job cluster with 4 jobs from coral31 without setting any RANK in the job ClassAd. What Happens? all 4 jobs stay at coral31 as expected. Then I submit the same jobs from coral32. 3 of the four jobs go to coral31 as expected but one stays on coral32 (which has a lower RANK). Why? I thought that RANK expressions are deterministic - I mean with my set up all 4 jobs should always go to coral31? Is there something else that plays a role? Remark: on both machines I switched off notification of console or tty activity.

I came to this test because users are asking that their jobs go to the machines with highest throughput (MIPS) and lowest load (LoadAvg). But all what I tried did not really work well. So I made this test with two machines to better understand what is going on. And even the result of this test does not fit my understandings. Does anyone know how to reliably set up such a policy?
Bye
WDK

--
Dr.W-D.Klotz - Europ. Synch. Rad. Facility (ESRF)
BP 220, 38043 Grenoble, CEDEX 9, France