Re: [Condor-users] Getting the output / error log

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 03:53:59PM +0200, Horv?tth Szabolcs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to get the output of a currently running job using a script.
> The quick hacky solution I used was
> to query where the job runs using condor_q, find the temporal output
> directory and read the log files directly.
> When the computer has multiple processors I compare the temporal working
> directories' date to the job
> start date to find the closest one but it tends to fail when both jobs
> start at exacly the same second.
>
> Is there a simple solution or neat trick to get the output/error log of
> a specified job?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that will help you right
away. One idea might be to use different SLOTx_USER (formerly VMx_USER), so
if you found out that a job was running on slot1 you could figure out which
directory matched that job.

Another idea is to add a unique identifier to each job's ClassAd that you
could query on, and then transfer a file with the same name to the execute
side. Then, if you want to find a job, just look for the directory that has
the uniquely-named file.

You could also stream your output files back, or use a wrapper script and
have Chirp send them back as the job progresses.

-Erik