Re: [Condor-users] Interesting use of backfill

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 02:39:10PM +0300, Mark Silberstein wrote:

> The only problem was to kill startd when the actual program termintates.
> So at the moment we make the program that is started by startd kill startd
> right before the termination. But it's awkward. If we had a parameter in
> startd, which would trigger it to suicide when backfill executable dies
> itself - this would be fantastic. We have no problems with fixing that
> ourselves, but we thought maybe this parameter can be added in 6.9.x
> series.
>
> Any other ideas would be appreciated!

You could try STARTD_NOCLAIM_SHUTDOWN, which is the number of seconds the
startd will stay unclaimed before shutting itself down. It may work
with "Backfill" jobs as the "Claim", but I'm not sure if it does (or,
actually, even if it should! :)

Another idea is to use MaxJobRetirementTime or condor_off -peaceful to let
the startd run until the job boundry. Again, I'm not sure that the startd
treats the "backfill" as a job, so it may not work either.

-Erik