Re: [Condor-users] Hard-coded paths in Condor binaries?

This is a slightly different problem. The offending path is hard- coded in openssl's libcrypto library. From the filename, I'd guess it's a default location to look for an x509 certificate and is based on the installation directory of openssl when the library was built. In a quick test, I haven't been able to reproduce the behavior.

Pascal, can you send me your full Condor configuration files on the affected nodes? Better yet would be if you could load one of the offending daemons in gdb and grab a stacktrace at the time of the open ().

 -- Jaime

On Nov 15, 2007, at 11:41 AM, Steven Timm wrote:

Yes--I have seen this many times and reported this almost a year ago. the developers have told me it's a relic of the NMI build system hardcoding the library paths into the executable--a relic which IMO needs to get fixed.
I finally gave in and created a special /home/condor automount to
make the errors go away, but there are several other software packages
built via NMI that also have this problem and have not only /home/ condor
but various of the developers home directories wired in.

Steve Timm

----- Original Message -----
From: Pascal Jermini <pascal+condor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:34 am
Subject: [Condor-users] Hard-coded paths in Condor binaries?
To: condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all!

It has been brought to my attention that Condor (on Linux, but this
may be
true for other platforms as well) was creating a lot of syslog entries concerning the /home automount point on a few compute nodes of our pool.

After inspection it turns out that Condor is trying to access a file located in /home/condor, even when there's no reference to that directory in any
configuration files. This breaks havoc in the logs, since we are
getting a
lots of entries in automount's logs concerning this non-existent directory.

I've strace'd the startup of the Condor daemons and I found the following:

open
("/home/condor/execute/dir_13565/userdir/externals/install/ globus-4.0.5/cert.pem", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

and by running a crude "strings dir_135656 bin/* sbin/*" in the condor
directory it appears that most (all?) binaries include this string.

Any reason to have this hard-coded path in there? It would be great if
this
issue could be resolved in a future version of Condor!

|           Jaime Frey           | I used to be a heavy gambler.     |
|       jfrey@xxxxxxxxxxx        | But now I just make mental bets.  |
| http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~jfrey/ | That's how I lost my mind.        |