Re: [Condor-users] PASSWD_CACHE_REFRESH in 6.9.4?

> If you want to increase the priority of the schedd, that is
> possibly a
> good idea.  However, using SHADOW_RENICE_INCREMENT=10 to decrease the
> priority of the shadows below all other normal processes on
> the system
> degrades throughput in every case we have observed or tested
> in the 6.9
> branch.  Part of the problem is that the schedd and the
> shadow need to
> communicate.  During this communication, it is actually
> possible for the
> schedd to be slowed down because it is stuck waiting for a
> response from
> a low priority shadow.  More common is to see connection
> failures in the
> shadow logs due to the shadow being so cpu starved that it
> cannot form a
> connection to the schedd, even with very generous timeouts.

Very interesting. I'm really keen to try 6.9 now. It almost sounds like
we should try starting out with a vanilla configuration set for 6.9 and
retuning things from scratch. So much has appeared to changed with the
release.

> Another thing that has changed is that the 6.9.4 schedd is
> much less cpu
> hungry than 6.8.  Having 10s of thousands of jobs in the
> queue and a few
> thousand jobs running should not severely tax the 6.9.4 schedd on
> reasonable server-class hardware unless the jobs are so fast that the
> completion rate is greater than ~10-15 jobs per second.

This is fantastic news.

> I'll admit that our tests of this have all been under linux and have
> been focussed on vanilla universe.  We're certainly hoping
> for feedback
> on all the other possible usage cases.

I'll be no help here. That's exactly the setup we're using.

- Ian

Confidentiality Notice.  This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
or copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error,
please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.