Re: [Condor-users] Understanding Credd

Chip Collier wrote:
Something I failed to mention here is that if I submit a job from linux (without attempting to use Credd), then it runs fine as the submitting user. This is actually only a problem with jobs which are submitted from windows (which is in fact the only way they'll hit the pool unfortunately), with or without attempting to use credd.

Chip -

I guess I am confused about what you are trying to do...

Do you want:
a) submit jobs from windows that will run on linux machines
b) submit jobs from windows that will run on windows machines
c) both a and b

In all cases you want the job to run as the user who submitted the job, correct?

If the answer is (a), you don't need the credd - the condor_credd is strictly something to help Windows execute machines run jobs as the submitting user. However, you do need a way to know that login A on windows is the same person as login B on linux. Does A = B ? In other words, is user "fred" on Windows have a login name of "fred" on your linux machines? Or is the mapping not that simple?

If the answer is (b), you then indeed need the credd.

If the answer is (c), you then need the credd for part (b).

I can try to help more once you clarify what you are trying to do ....

thanks,
Todd