Re: [Condor-users] pool drainoff

Hi Ian,

Ian Chesal wrote:
How can I put a single node in a condor pool into a 'drainoff' state, that is, let any jobs currently running on the node finish, but don't accept new jobs.

It should be:

	condor_off -peaceful

In theory that will shut down the machines once all the running jobs
leave. In practice I find if one job takes an incredibly long time to
run new jobs keep getting assigned to the machine and a peaceful point
to shut down is never reached. That's with 6.8.6 (yea, Condor guys, I
know: why don't I tell you about these things? Sometimes it just slips
my mind... :) ).

It doesn't look like this is fixed in condor 7.0.0 either. I have 8 slots on the node, and new jobs keep arriving. Jobs take ~8 hours to complete, and I have quite a few jobs sitting idle waiting for slots, so the system is likely never to become idle.

I thought I could do this by setting 'START=False' in the node-specific condor_config.local, followed by 'condor_reconfig -subsystem startd' on the node, but that doesn't seem to have worked. The node is still starting new jobs.

Hmm...try:

	condor_reconfig -startd -full

But my gut feeling that is that START = False is going to immediately
vacate the running jobs.

Still no luck.  No jobs got removed, and new ones keep getting started.

--Mike

Confidentiality Notice.  This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.