Re: [Condor-users] condor_submit feature request

I would like to see support for the basic math operations ($(Process) +12)*3/400

That would solve your problem.

- Ryan

On Aug 6, 2008, at 3:38 AM, Steffen Grunewald wrote:

I'd like to ask for a feature related to condor_submit.

Every now and then, I have to run a large job cluster with several 100s to 1000s of jobs, each using $(Process) as the argument to the executable
(simply a counter, used as a seed for a RNG).
Often I'd like to split the large cluster into pieces submitted separately,
or extend an existing cluster.
What condor_submit is lacking is a way to start counting at a process number
0.
Of course, this could be worked around using a "dummy" executable for the
first n jobs of a cluster:
	Executable = /bin/false
	Queue n
then defining the real one
	Executable = $the_real_one
	Queue m
but it imposes unneccessary load on the scheduler, and those very short running
jobs in the past had the tendency to confuse their shadow processes.
If there was a "StartAt" parameter for the submit file (which would default to 0 for the first Queue statement, and be counted up subsequently), that would make things a lot easier (also to repeat a selected set of failed jobs).

Any opinions?

Cheers,
Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI Grav.Phys.(AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
Cluster Admin * http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/merlin/ * http://www.aei.mpg.de/