Re: [Condor-users] Condor WN belonging to several pools ?

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Marian ZUREK <Marian.ZUREK@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to configure condor WN in a way that it serves
> (accepts jobs from) several condor pools?
>
> I have couple of worker nodes running in the production pool.
> Sometimes I need to also run pre-production (or test) system.
> This preproduction system also requires couple of worker nodes to
> allow me proper test execution.
> Normally I would take the WNs from production pool and assign them to
> pre-production. This requires always planning and sometimes you need
> to wait till the moment the node is empty.

Can flocking achieve what you want?
If not there are some more hacky solutions like:

Craft a job which is capable of cleanly either holding a node in a
state so that you can then run a quick script against it to switch
pools or that is capable of doing the change itself (several
permission issues with this - if you have total control of the
environment you can do it).

I suggest going with the "place it into a state where you can change
it" is the easiest to start with.

Then when you want to test n machines of a particular type you submit
your 'LockForTransfer' submit script which queues n of those jobs with
the relevant requirements.

Once this job gets to run it should simply sit there holding the
machine (perhaps advertising that fact) at which point you (or a
separate cron style task) spots this and does the normal change over
you currently do (the change over should allow the job to cleanly exit
first or it will try to claim another machine)

Placing back in the pool can also be automated (though that can be a
simple 'my tests are all done put them all back right now')

Matt