Re: [Condor-users] Wrong hostname in Condor-G file staging

On Jan 25, 2008, at 6:47 AM, Jan Ploski wrote:

condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx schrieb am 01/24/2008 11:12:19 PM:

Hello,

Condor-G (from a 6.7.18 installation) is misbehaving on a machine which has two IP addresses and two different hostnames. The internal hostname
(not mapped in the global DNS) keeps appearing in the
sourceUrl/destinationUrl fields of the SOAP message used to request file

staging from WS-GRAM, causing the job to be held with the "Globus error:

Staging error for RSL element fileStageIn" message.

How can we make Condor-G use the external hostname instead of the
internal one? Am I right in assuming that the wrong hostname resolution
is performed somewhere in the Condor implementation and not in the
GAHP/Globus Java components (i.e., do they get the RSL with the resolved

hostname from condor_schedd or how does it work)?

The problem is solved, so I will answer myself for the archive:

The hostname resolution seems to happen in the condor_gridmanager process,
spawned by condor_schedd. The GAHP server which interfaces with the
Condor-shipped Globus components is in turn spawned by the
condor_gridmanager. GAHP most likely receives the (correctly or
incorrectly) resolved hostname from condor_gridmanager.

The submission host's IP address set on its "external world" network
interface was being resolved via DNS to an internal hostname. To prevent this, the /etc/hosts file was edited so that this IP address is resolved to the external hostname. I'm still puzzled a bit about the workings of the hostname resolution mechanism, but the SOAP messages now contain the
correct hostname.

A correction for the archives:
The globus-gridftp-server launched by the gridmanager to handle the file transfers picks the hostname to use.

Thanks and regards,
Jaime Frey
UW-Madison Condor Team