Re: [Condor-users] Condor and EC2?

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:54 AM, Jonathan D. Proulx <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've run across some tantalizing references to Condor on EC2.  Enough
> for me to get an EC2 account and start poking.
>
> I can't figure out how (if?) I can get EC2 nodes to talk to my regular
> world central manager since the EC2 node only sees it's private
> addresses, though through some evil NAT voodoo it does have a public
> IP routed to it.
>
> Has anyone tackled this or are teh condor+ec2 projects so far
> completely contained within the EC2 cloud?

I've thought about it and looked at some docs.
I haven't tried to get anything working.  While I'm a relative Condor
novice, what I thought would be required is:
 - have a S3 mount point to store the global condor config file that
all instances (master and workers) read.
 - do some regex sub to insert the master private address in the
global config file.
 - Launch worker instances from within the master instance.

Or
 - use rc.local script to set "certain" environment variables to
"required" values when the instance starts.
 - what are the smallest set of the environment variable are I'm not
certain.  I posted a while back with a list a I thought might be
required, but from memory that wasn't confirmed by anyone.
 - what are the required values and are they available from the EC2
meta data server isn't clear to me yet.

Would be interested in hearing about any progress you make.

Mark