Re: [Condor-users] DiskUsage >= Disk

Steven Timm wrote:

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
timm@xxxxxxxx  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Grid Facilities Department, FermiGrid Services Group, Assistant Group Leader.

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Espen Braastad wrote:

Hello,

I'm having the (apparently common) problem that jobs won't run on
certain cluster nodes. I've analyzed the requirements and I've found the
cause. The cause is that one of the job requirements is that Disk >=
DiskUsage.

condor_q -l <jobid> says:
Disk = 10000

Do you mean  Requirements = (Disk=10000)

My fault, I ment DiskUsage = 10000.

The situation was:
DiskUsage = 10000 (from the job)
Disk = 8128 (at the node)
Requirement = ( Disk >= DiskUsage )

condor_status -l <nodeid> says:
Disk = 8128
TotalDisk = 32512

8128 >= 10000 is false, and the job is rejected.

Now to my question;
I am not able to find -where- condor gets the value 8128 from. On the
node itself, in the $HOME directory of <jobid> there is 16GB available.
I didn't find any explaination of the Disk property of the nodes in the
documentation either.

It's the amount of disk free in the EXECUTE directory divided by
the number of CPU's on the node.
It is possible to partition it differently if you want, to allow
one slot to have more disk, and another to have less, by the SLOTx_
macros.

This is a good way to do a START expression or a REQUIREMENTS
expression but it is not a way to kill a job if it is using too
much disk because it is not fast enough on the draw, the value
can take 45 minutes to get back to the PERIODIC_HOLD or
PERIODIC_REMOVE expressions.

Thank you for the explaination.

--
mvh