[Condor-users] Understanding PrivSep permissions

Hi folks,

I've been reading the PrivSep wisdom on the following Condor wiki page:

  http://condor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/wiki?p=PrivSep

My first question is about this line: "The submit side daemons must still
run as root unless there is only a single submitter or all submitters are
trusted (i.e. a personal Condor)." Is the reason for this to have the
necessary permission to read and write the log files?

My second question is about this line: "For a single Condor instance to
have both (multi-user) submit-side and execute-side functionality either
PrivSep must not be used or the Master must still run as root and be
configured to start the StartD without root (via the STARTD_USERID
setting)." I don't understand why PrivSep should not be used for both
submit and execute nodes. Can someone elaborate?

--
Marc Tardif <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Freenode: cr3, Jabber: cr3@xxxxxxxxxx