[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Condor-users] What is "the CPU hour"?
- Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:14:35 -0800 (PST)
- From: Rob <spamrefuse@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [Condor-users] What is "the CPU hour"?
When browsing through Condor articles, often the term "CPU hour" appears.
Am I right that this is a somewhat sloppy computational unit?
Are the following two statements then correct?
1) The CPU hour does not tell you how much work can be done, as this also
depends (among many other things) on the speed of the CPU; one CPU hour
on a 1 GHz CPU does much less work, than one CPU hour on a 3 GHz CPU.
2) How many CPU hours are created by Condor, is a measure of how effective
Condor is converting otherwise wasted computational resources.
In other words: the amount of CPU hours says more about Condors abilities,
than about the potential amount of work that can be done.