[Condor-users] condor_q -analyze & kerberos

My condor pool is set up with the goal that users who authenticated to a system (by logging in) do not need to have a kerberos ticket to interact with condor but where the systems themselves need one to talk with each other (so boxes I don't control can't just join the pool).

Without a kerberos ticket jobs are submitted fine. condor_q shows them just fine. However, when a user runs condor_q -better they get back:
   Error:  Could not fetch startd ads

If the user gets a kerberos ticket they get actual output from condor_q -better. It would be preferred if the user never had to get a kerberos ticket to interact with condor (submitting, queuing, killing, querying, etc).

All of the systems are running with the following settings:

 ; condor_config_val SEC_DEFAULT_AUTHENTICATION_METHODS
FS, KERBEROS
 ; condor_config_val SCHEDD.SEC_DEFAULT_AUTHENTICATION_METHODS
FS, KERBEROS
 ; condor_config_val TOOL.SEC_DEFAULT_AUTHENTICATION_METHODS
FS, KERBEROS
 ; condor_config_val COLLECTOR.SEC_DEFAULT_AUTHENTICATION_METHODS
FS, KERBEROS

Any hints on what I should be looking at to change the unwanted behavior would be appreciated.

thanks,
nomad