Re: [Condor-users] job is not kept in queue even though execute machine is busy

Hi Jason,

Thank you very much for the reply. The machine on which I want the jobs to be run is a multi core but I made it  look like single core (using NUM_CPUS in config file).
I'll try the requirements _expression_, but my question is if the machine is busy, does condor keep the other jobs (which want the same target machine) in queue or does it try to execute them on the target machine irrespective of wheather the machine is busy or not?
RSVP
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Jason Stowe <jstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Boson,
> is my job submission file:
>
> universe=vanilla
> executable=t.bat
> Rank=(machine=="xxx")
You should use the Requirements _expression_, not Rank, for a hard
requirement. A job's Rank _expression_ is a preference, i.e. it will
make your jobs prefer running on that machine, but they will still be
able to run elsewhere. If you change the setting to:
Requirement = (Machine == "xyz")
Condor will only schedule jobs to that machine.

Another feature to be aware of is that by default Condor will
advertise slots for all of machine 'xyz's cores. Running jobs
generally take up one slot. If there are more than 1 cores, when you
submit the second job, it will run in the second, still-idle core.

To see how many slots are present for a machine 'xyz', type 'condor_status xyz'

Hope this helps,
Jason

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 5:57 AM, boson code <bocode@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a newbie and I've installed condor on 5 windows xp machines. I've want
> to execute a job on one particular machine (from another machine) and here
> is my job submission file:
>
> universe=vanilla
> executable=t.bat
> Rank=(machine=="xxx")
> output=logs/toutput.log
> log=logs/tcondor.log
> notification=never
> queue
>
> The job is getting executed and the target machine is busy. Now I want to
> submit another job to the same machine (while the first job is still being
> executed). I thought condor will queue this job until the target machine
> becomes available since it is busy currently executing first job. But the
> second job is immediately submitted. What is the reason for this? Why is
> condor not waiting for the first job to finish before it can execute the
> second job?
>
> Please help
>
> Thanks in advance.

> The archives can be found at:

Jason A. Stowe
cell: 607.227.9686
main: 888.292.5320

Cycle Computing, LLC
Leader in Condor Grid Solutions
Enterprise Condor Support and Management Tools

http://www.cyclecomputing.com
http://www.cyclecloud.com